andreya

Andreya's Asylum

Insanity, horror and dark fiction are my catharsis. Brutally honest reviews are on the house.

Professional Reader        80%

Review of Within These Walls by Ania Ahlborn

Within These Walls - Ania Ahlborn

I have loved Ania Ahlborn since I first read The Bird Eater. Thanks to NetGalley I didn't have to pace grooves into my floor waiting until April for the release of Within These Walls. I enjoyed this one very much. I do have to admit that it was a slow starter for me, but at 464 pages, it wasn't by any means boring which is impressive.

Lucas Graham is a true crime writer who has been given the opportunity of a lifetime. When a letter arrives in the mail inviting him to conduct the first-ever interview with Jeffrey Halcomb, occult leader and accused murderer, it was a dream come true. However the offer comes with a price: Lucas must live in Jeffrey's former house. The same house where 8 of his followers committed suicide and he killed two others. Also, the house is in Washington state, on the opposite coast from his New York Residence. With his career in the gutter and his marriage already on the rocks, Lucas takes the plunge, moving himself and his daughter with the hopes of getting his life back on track.

Unfortunately the house has other plans. From the moment he first enters the house weird things start happening. From entire rooms changing, to his creepy and overly-friendly neighbor, it seems to be both the perfect place to write a scary story and the worst place to patch up his relationship with his daughter. Then Jeffrey Halcomb refuses the interview he was promised. Lucas's desperation reaches a new high. Within these walls lies either his last chance or his ruin.

The story flashes back and forth between the present and 1983, the year of the sacrament. Although it was probably a tad longer than it needed to be I can't complain because it's Ania and her writing is stellar, so reading more of it was okay by me. Overall it was a great book and I would absolutely recommend it. Although if you haven't read Ania you should make sure to also check out The Seed and The Shuddering ASAP. And The Bird Eater. Just read her books.

I received this e-ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.