andreya

Andreya's Asylum

Insanity, horror and dark fiction are my catharsis. Brutally honest reviews are on the house.

Professional Reader        80%

Review of Doll Face by Tim Curran

Doll Face - Tim Curran

"Is that you doll-face?"

From the author of Puppet Graveyard, we are blessed with another puppety-nightmare of a story.

While trying to take a short-cut on the way home from a concert, drunk Chazz and 5 of his friends end up stranded in Stokes after running down a man standing in the middle of the street. A call to 911 quickly becomes their first clue that vehicular manslaughter is the least of their problems, when the operator informs them that there is no town of Stokes. The entire town burned to the ground in the 1960's. However, the sign leading into town clearly said Stokes and unless they are all sharing the same hallucination, it's still standing.

When the man that they hit not only stands up but starts putting himself back together, the weirdness in nonexistent Stokes is just getting started. Their van dies. The highway disappears. An air-raid alarm seems to be awakening something. And the town seems to be filled with animated and dangerous life-sized dolls. Something seems to be controlling the entire town. In a place where reality doesn't seem to have any bearing on what unfolds, they must figure out how to stop whatever is controlling Stokes before it controls them or drives them insane in the process.

This is not my favorite Tim Curran book (Graveworm! Graveworm! Graveworm!) but it was far from disappointing. From the one person on this planet who truly knows how to make my skin crawl, Doll Face will feed any doll-phobia you either have or didn't know that you had prior to reading it.