andreya

Andreya's Asylum

Insanity, horror and dark fiction are my catharsis. Brutally honest reviews are on the house.

Professional Reader        80%

Review of Bad Apples 2: Six Slices of Halloween Horror

Bad Apples 2: Six Slices of Halloween Horror - Edward Lorn, Adam   Light, Gregor Xane, Jason  Parent, Evans Light, Kealan Patrick Burke

Excellent Halloween anthology from some of the nicest guys I know and some stellar authors as well. So I have to say that I have mixed feelings about this simply because because I loved the first Bad Apples so damn much. However, let me just say that the addition of Kealan Patrick Burke more than made up for that.

The stories in order of appearance:

Halloweekend, Edward Lorn: No comment.

Candie Apple by Evans Light: As awesome this year as it was last year. Yes, it's republished, get over it. It rocks. Who knew that bobbing for apples could be dangerous. And for Bob Talley, together forever takes on a whole new meaning. If you hear chanting this Halloween it probably won't be for Bloody Mary...

Dia de los Muertos by Jason Parent: It's the day of the dead in Mexico City and for Russell, just another day of the horror he has come to know as his life. A former army soldier, Russell relives his time in Afghanistan incessantly and seems to have brought back more than PTSD with him. Constantly cold and thirsty, will Russell ever find relief? Very poignantly written, we get an up-close look at the death that we so casually and carelessly celebrate.

Tommy Rotten by Adam Light: Tommy is lonely. Tommy Rachen is a legend in town but not in any heroic sense. One day Tommy's body was discovered in a pumpkin patch located next to a haunted house on Cypress Lane. Today, just like every Halloween, Tommy hopes for someone to play with.. I have an affinity for haunted houses and have since I can remember. This story is Halloween for me.

The One Night of the Year by Kealan Patrick Burke: Caleb is an old man who has been left with nothing but his dog Rufus and his memories of happier times when he had a family instead of simply a dusty old farmhouse. Halloween, the one day of the year that he hopes for/dreads the most. Will they come this year? Does he want them to? What if they don't? So many questions, but alas, Caleb is ready once again... I loved this. A brilliant story from a brilliant writer that I am glad joined the Bad Apples crew.

Doctor Proclivity & Professor Propensity by Gregor Xane: First off, I am reviewing this one even there were no goats. NO. GOATS. Kids are going missing and the only common link seems to be a yearly Halloween puppet show that no one seems to know much about. When little Jimmy and his sidekick Uncle Shel go out to investigate, they find themselves in the midst of perhaps the oddest puppet show ever to exist and a whole lot more... I'm not sure what else to say about this weird little story other than to read it. It's Gregor so you know it's good. It's Gregor, so you also know that it's strange and strange he delivers in his little sick puppety story. I, of course, enjoyed this.