andreya

Andreya's Asylum

Insanity, horror and dark fiction are my catharsis. Brutally honest reviews are on the house.

Professional Reader        80%

Review of We Are All Completely Fine by Daryl Gregory

We Are All Completely Fine - Daryl Gregory

Each one of us thinks that we are unique. That no one has even known the pain, the loss, or the depth of sadness we have felt. No one could possibly understand. It is the burden we alone have to bear.

For a traumatic survivors therapy group. this feeling of uniqueness - of aloneness - is amplified. From Stan, who survived a family of Cannibals, to Barbara who escaped a psychopath with an obsession with etching scrimshaw onto human bones (her bones), each of the five has a story to tell. A story that only one willingly wants to tell, but that none of them has been able to escape on their own. The only thing in common with these five people is the insomnia they all share - the nightmares.

This was a great novella and could have been an even better novel. I felt that several of the characters' stories were sort of glazed over and would have enjoyed greater depth into those who weren't. I would love to see a sequel to this one. Overall it was an enjoyable read and very well portrayed. We all think we are so different - so unique - and in the end, we are all just the same, human and breakable and in our own way - we are all completely fine.

We Are All Completely Fine was provided as an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.