andreya

Andreya's Asylum

Insanity, horror and dark fiction are my catharsis. Brutally honest reviews are on the house.

Professional Reader        80%

Review of Condemned by Michael McBride

Condemned: A Thriller - Michael McBride

Condemned is officially my new favorite novel. Michael McBride has outdone himself once again. Just when I thought that it didn’t get any better than F9 or Sunblind-- he gives us CONDEMNED.

Peter Webber is a news media reporter (blogger) who focuses most of his attention on the deterioration of downtown Detroit. Dray Rogers, Peter’s best friend from childhood, is a detective for the Detroit Police Department who has made it his life’s goal to clean up the city he grew up in. After Peter stumbles upon the dead body of a young woman, while following up on a vandalism tip, the two of them end up in the middle of what will be one of the city’s most brutal serial killings.

The amount of research and detail that went into this book is amazing. It is one of the few books that I have read where I felt like I could picture exactly what every building looked like in my head, every brick -- as if I were actually there. There was also no lack of attachment to the characters on my part. McBride is also one of the few authors I have read who can make a character feel real. Peter Webber feels like a real person and I haven't been able to get him out of my head. CONDEMNED is outside of McBride’s usual genre, but is one that he has wholeheartedly and brilliantly pulled off.

When I receive my signed limited edition hardcover in the mail, THIS is the book that you will have to pry out of my cold dead hands. I kid you not; it's that good. :)