andreya

Andreya's Asylum

Insanity, horror and dark fiction are my catharsis. Brutally honest reviews are on the house.

Professional Reader        80%

Review of Brother by Ania Ahlborn

Brother - Ania Ahlborn

There doesn't seem to be anything (in the horror genre) that Ania can't nail. If you think that a family of serial killers can't possibly be anything but a recycled and regurgitated (ad nauseam) plot line- you're wrong. I will admit that as a lover of Kealan Patrick Burke's novel Kin I was rather skeptical. I had nothing to worry about. Although the stories share that detail, that's pretty much where the similarity ends.

I won't rehash the story line because that's probably already been done for you by half a million reviewers by now. I will tell you that it's disturbing in that Silence of the Lambs kind of way. That perhaps if you're the sensitive type, you should consider taking your blood pressure meds before you pick this one up. That, in this sick sad world, Brother wants to be king. It also really makes me glad that I was an only child.

You know what it's about (sort of). You know that it's Ania. You know that you want to read it. Perhaps you're on the fence because let's face it, nobody wants to pay $7.99 for an e-book. If that is you, then I highly recommend just buying the paperback because the cover is awesome and it looks so much better in person. Either way, it's worth it. Although I received my free e-ARC from NetGalley/Gallery Books, I also bought the paperback version for my bookshelf. Thank you to Ania for another great read and I can't wait to see what you come up with next.

P.S. If you haven't read Seed, The Shuddering, The Bird Eater or The Pretty Ones, rectify that immediately. You'll thank me.