andreya

Andreya's Asylum

Insanity, horror and dark fiction are my catharsis. Brutally honest reviews are on the house.

Professional Reader        80%

Review of Some Will Not Sleep by Adam Nevill

Some Will Not Sleep: Selected Horrors - Adam Nevill

I finally got around to reading Adam Nevill and only wish that I had done so sooner, this man is amazing. I had originally bought a limited copy of Some Will Not Sleep as a bundle with a T-shirt and bookmark from Adam's online store, Ritual Limited, but also ended up buying the e-book so that I didn't have to smudge my gorgeous copy. That book cover was all the convincing I needed to know that I needed it in my collection.

I have a love/hate relationship with most short story collections, as it sometimes feels like authors like to squeeze in their garbage stories just to get them published, sandwiched between reprints and the few good stories that hooked you into buying it in the first place. There was not a single story in Some Will Not Sleep that I didn't love or that I think was less than stellar. The stories are creepy in a way that most authors can't pull off. With a blend of folklore mixed with the utterly irrational and bizarre, it's unsettling in a way that makes you want to crawl under the covers of your bed like a child, from the things lurking outside that shouldn't exist. I'm pretty sure that more than 'some' will not be sleeping after reading this.

I had previously read Adam's free 3-story collection called Before You Sleep which has one story that isn't in this collection and it's also very good. The plan at this point is to pretty much just read everything this man writes from here on out, he's -that- good.

I did not receive a free copy.

I bought both the limited edition version and the e-book and they were both worth it. :)