andreya

Andreya's Asylum

Insanity, horror and dark fiction are my catharsis. Brutally honest reviews are on the house.

Professional Reader        80%

Review of The Siren and the Specter by Jonathan Janz

The Siren and The Spectre (Fiction Without Frontiers) - Jonathan Janz

The Siren and the Spector is a book that I am finding difficult to review. I want to say 5/5 because it’s Janz, and I love his writing, and I love his characters. I also want to give you an honest opinion, because without that there is no point in even reviewing books. I did love it, and I did have issues with it, and I’ll try to break that down some.

This book has all of the right elements that I want in a haunted-house-themed horror novel.  The atmosphere is there, the characters are complicated, and the ghosts are scary. That, by the way, doesn’t even begin to give you the story itself, which the entire premise is thought-provoking and well-written. My biggest issue was with the amount of characters/story lines that are packed into this book. Most of them work as a whole, but to me it feels like there is a lot that is sacrificed from the story when you are trying to lead in so many different directions. I want to know more about almost every character in here, including the main character, even though I personally couldn’t stand David. I feel like this could easily have been a mind-blowing book series. The bones of the story are solid, I would just liked to have seen more depth and history behind it.

This is the 8thbook that I have read from Jonathan Janz, who is without a doubt, one of my favorite authors. Do I recommend that you read this? Absolutely. I will continue to read any Janz books that I can get my hands on, because even when it’s not my favorite book of his, it’s still ten times better than most books that I read on a regular basis. Most people who read this have given it a 5/5, so perhaps I’m just biased to his previous work, but that’s for you to decide and I absolutely think you should.

I received an e-ARC of this from Flame Tree Press and NetGalley in exchange for an honest opinion.

@ 2018 by Andi Rawson of Andreya's Asylum