andreya

Andreya's Asylum

Insanity, horror and dark fiction are my catharsis. Brutally honest reviews are on the house.

Professional Reader        80%

Review of Ghosts of Eden by Keith Deininger

Ghosts of Eden - Keith Deininger

Ghosts of Eden is the fourth book I've read by Keith Deininger and his imagination never ceases to amaze me. I'm not sure which dimension Keith hails from but I'm very suspicious that it's not our own.

Ghosts of Eden is a mixture of horror, fantasy and possibly some drugs that I would like added to my cup of coffee. As usual he sets an atmosphere so fantastical that it's hard not to get caught up in it. Garty is a drug-addicted screw-up of a 19 year old who can't seem to find a stable place to crash after his mother dies. Kayla is a perceptive and optimistic child whose family doesn't understand her, and soon she starts seeing things she doesn't seem to understand herself. When Garty and Kayla's lives collide in the form of "Uncle Xander" and his secret laboratory, the lines between fantasy and reality start to blur.

I will admit that I'm not a huge fan of fantasy in general, but Keith has a way of blending it so well into his stories that most of the time I forget that I don't like it. My only gripe with this one was that it was a little more out there than some of his others and that the ending seemed to be a little rushed but it was good nonetheless.